Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Twilight Post.

There's still time to close the page and walk away...

Generally speaking, I'm an anti-bandwagon kind of person. Unless I accidentally wind up on the bandwagon without knowing it's a bandwagon (eg. Star Wars) I tend to steer clear. I'm not really sure why, but the more people who like something, the more likely I am to ignore it completely. I've never read Harry Potter, I've never seen Forest Gump and up until this month I'd never read Twilight.

I'm hesitant to do this, but it's fresh in my mind and if I'm not careful I'm going to open my mouth and start gabbing Twilight with the wrong person, bore them to tears and be forever ostracized. Plus I want it out of my head. Perhaps what I'm really in need of is a book group. I love discussing a book... in crazy detail, but I'm pretty sure my husband will disown me if I try to recruit him as my Twilight sounding board.

I was leaving a friend's house one morning after Jessica had played hard and after I'd lamented that I didn't have any books in the car and hoped that she didn't fall asleep before we got home, K went and brought me some books. (God bless friends who love to read!) One of these books was Twilight. I kinda looked sideways at it but went with it. After all, I was kind of curious. I'd seen the first movie and thought it was dire. There had to be something amazing in the book for so many people to put up with such a rotten movie.

Twilight - Not too bad. Definitely better than the movie. Still didn't like Bella very much, but I was beginning to be able to see the appeal.

Cue trip to the library to collect the rest of the series.

New Moon - hmm still good, still don't like Bella. I decided that maybe it was because I was picturing Kristen Stewart and her sour puss in the role, so I spent the rest of the book trying to force a different character image into my head. Have you ever tried changing the look of a character after reading an entire book? It's hard in a strange way. The way writing with your left hand if you're right-handed is hard. Your brain feels like it's physically rebelling at the idea.

Eclipse - okay I can see how it developed a following. I need the final book, but the local library didn't have a copy. (Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it but as one of my friends so  eloquently said, "It's got crack in the pages." You don't know WHY you can't put it down, but you just can't. ) Thankfully, this wise friend had a copy of Breaking Dawn that she loaned me.

Breaking Dawn - When I started this book I was warned that I'd hit a point and go "Argh!" so I spent every page in a stress bubble wondering who was going to die and why. Turns out the warning applied to something much smaller in scale and everything was nicely tied up into a happy ending. Actually, the most tied up and satisfying ending I've read in a long time. I wasn't expecting that.


Midnight Sun - An unfinished manuscript by Meyer, retelling the first novel via Edward's perspective. Perhaps my favourite of all the books. I finally like Bella - it's amazing how much more likable she is from Edward's point of view.

The Movies.....

Most of the actors appear to be comical spoofs of the characters in the book.
(remember these are my own opinions you are under no obligation to agree with them, you don't even have to like them.)

Bella - I don't even know where to start. Honestly. There are so many things wrong here that I don't even know where to start. So I won't. I don't approve of the casting choice. I also don't approve of bad wigs such as her wig in Eclipse. I hate it when actresses have to wear tacky wigs - think Hayden Panettiere in Heroes, I can't focus on anything else.
Rosalie - She was supposed to be gorgeous, not, well not whatever it was that she was.
Edward - They got the eyes right and I agree with his build in general and the hair, but ouch... it kind of looks like someone smashed his face with a frying pan..
Esme - I think I decided that she was blonde, so the brunette totally threw me for a loop.
Alice - one again, the fake hair bothered me. (I'm not positive if it was a wig, but I hope it was for the actress's sake, cause that's some bad hair.)
Emmett - pretty much what I thought, but it can't be hard to get the frat boy type right
Carlise - only real difference was that I was pronouncing it Car-leese and not Car-lyle

I really won't say anything else about the movies I'm just going to treat them as the comedy/farce/spoofs that they obviously are and move on. :)

and now that I've gotten that off my chest I can stop bothering friends and family with my inane ramblings about Edward, Bella and Jacob.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! It's pretty much the same as petting a cat. They purr, I blog more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...