Last weekend while we were visiting my folks, I learned a lot about coconuts. It's amazing what you will decide to do while Grandpa is entertaining the baby, there's a laptop in front of you and a coconut just begging to be opened. Mom had a couple coconuts and pineapples left over from some beach themed something or other that she did in class. (Sorry Mom, there appears to be a hole in my brain. I was listening at the time. Really!) Well, how do you open a coconut? I wanted to saw at it. Wrong. We turn to the information database that is YouTube. Apparently you just hit it really hard and it cracks open. We enlisted Dad. Success. Coconut open. It was yummy. 2nd coconut didn't have any water in it and smelled a bit funny. Less success. ((Water you say? Yes I said water! The liquid inside a coconut is called coconut water. If you purée it with the 'meat' of the coconut it then becomes coconut milk. Aaah youtube. What we would do without you?)) Then we watched a 10 minute video of a guy cutting a pineapple all fancy like... it spurred me to action. 30 seconds later I was finished being creative and just chopped it into ugly little chunks. After popping a significant amount into my mouth, the immediate development of a canker sore on my tongue and the accompanied burning sensation brought me to the abrupt conclusion that I'm minorly allergic to pineapple. Well that's new. yaay.
I digress. The point being - I wanted more coconut. So this week I picked up one from Harris Teeter. It sloshed acceptably so I thought I was in the clear. Last night I dug out our hammer and whacked it. Water into the waiting bowl and other than a slightly bruised finger it was all good. Until closer inspection that is. The water wasn't sweet. The coconut was slimy and ... oh my gosh!! is that mould!? Yes. I was in possession of a mouldy coconut. I was not happy. Mark suggested I could walk over to Harris Teeter and buy another one. That's a lot of work for a coconut. I decided against it. (perhaps if I still had my pedometer on I would have gone... maybe it would be in my best interest to leave it on?)
Oh. I also learned some alchemy. If you put ice tea in my Ninja it turns into beer.
What's a ninja?
ReplyDeleteIt's our blender :) here's a link http://www.ninjakitchen.com/NinjaMasterPrepProSystem.shtml?tabID=detailsCont it turns ice into fluffy powder. Mark's actually just finished enjoying a cherry slushee... remember those blue slushees from the bowling alley. Yeah, we can totally make those now. :)
ReplyDeleteI was also confused as to what a ninja was... I was starting to think you had a trained master at your beck and call for any of your martial arts needs ;) hehe xx
ReplyDeleteJenn
Oh Jenn.. That would be AMAZING!! But alas sadly just a blender.
ReplyDelete