Monday, January 7, 2013

and how do you feel?

Every time I open my mouth and hear myself utter the words, "I make a really bad pregnant woman." I want to bite my own tongue. Sure I've got it rough. 
Sleeping is uncomfortable and I wake up with the sheets in a tangled mess. 
My blood sugar drops in the middle of the night and I wake up with the jitters. 
I throw up every other day or so.
I'm exhausted. 
I'm nauseated all the time. But really..? It could be so much worse. 

Have you heard of Hyperemesis Gravidarum? Read about it. Before I was pregnant the first time I didn't even know it existed  but it does and I am thankful that I don't have it. (It's amazing how many people I've met who've never heard of it either.) I don't have to deal with an incompetent cervix , a condition requiring bedrest and/or surgery. There's an entire slew of medical horrors and complications that I don't even want to think about. Really, I've got it easy. 

I could be doing this without an amazing family and wonderful friends. I've got support and I've got love, so throwing up a few times a week really shouldn't feel like such a big deal. 

I think I feel like I'm so bad at this because I've only ever seen amazing women go through awesome pregnancies. The first pregnancy I ever experienced was my friend Sarah's. If she hadn't started to look like she was hiding a bowling ball under her shirt you'd never have known she was pregnant. She took it all like a star. Sure, towards the end it was obvious she was ready to have the baby on the outside rather than the inside but that's completely expected! 

Cue a move to Raleigh where the Mom crowd I've been hanging out with are exercise regulars. I don't think I can even count how many women announced in class and then continued to workout up until the month they were due. I can remember not being able to tie my own shoes by 6 months last time.... oh my gosh. I was blown away. Perhaps I should go look for pregnant friends at Krispy Kreme rather than the gym?  ;)  Have I mentioned that I'm already getting winded just going upstairs in our house? Not a good sign for the future. 

I'm attempting my first class back at Stroller Strides on Wednesday. I've not been since I got pregnant. I'm rather worried that I'm going to puke or pass out in the middle of class. Thankfully Wednesday's instructor is one of my best friends. I'm sure she'll forgive me for any mid-class bathroom disappearances. 

All that said.. I AM pregnant. Therefore dealing with a pregnant woman's hormones, so please forgive me if when I whine every once in a while. I'll try not to overwhelm you with stories of where I puked last and how horrific it was ;) (Honestly, you may not want to ask me how I feel because there's no way I've got it together enough to just say, "fine."  I'm going to regale you with my lastest misadventure. Please, only ask if you really want to know.)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha but your pregnancy with Jessica was pretty horrible I thought - you were sick for ages! You've got a right to moan :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment! It's pretty much the same as petting a cat. They purr, I blog more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...