Monday, July 19, 2010

5 months and a day

Once again time is acting in that peculiar fashion where it moves fast and slow simultaneously. It feels like Jessica's 4 month vaccinations were ages ago whilst I also feel like she was just born. Perhaps it's the gallbladder. When I'm in pain time always seems to act funny.

I had my consultation with the surgeon today. It was a case of being put on a waiting list to wait for a waiting list. I waited over a month for this appointment only to be told it will be roughly 2 more months before anything is done. He didn't really ask me any questions other than:

"Do you want it out?"
I said yes.
"Okay. Government guidelines say we have to promise you a surgery date within 9 weeks of telling you that you'll have surgery. I'm busy this week and on holiday the next, so it will probably be more than 3 but less than 9."
I quickly attempted to count in my head, "middle of September...noooo! just when I was planning on going home to Florida for a bit... argh!"

It's strange how much doctors vary. I've met a few that discount everything I say and often diagnose without listening to me, but then there are those that seem to let me self-diagnose, nod and ask what I would like to do. This one fell into the latter category. I mentioned how my symptoms seemed to suggest a stone getting lodged in the bile duct- so he's arranging an MRI to scan the area and make sure there's nothing there that would need to be removed. Apparently, they are two different procedures entirely. I like that he listened to me, it just comes as kind of a shock after you deal with so many who don't care what you say. At first he mentioned doing the scan after the surgery but when he realized how far off it would be he decided just to order one now. It was done in a very much "What the heck, there's nothing else to do while you're waiting to get cut open." kind of attitude. Slightly odd, but at least it's getting done.

On the lighter side of life: Tonight Jessabear pooped in the bath. Not before the bath, not right after the bath, but IN the bath. It was oddly akin to yellow play-dough coming out of a play-dough press. Mark wasn't impressed, well maybe he was,but in that strange way where you can't believe something is really happening. I've got to give him credit, he did not run screaming from the room. He held it together and we managed to get her from her bath into the proper tub with no further incident.

Letting us know what she thought about the doctor's office.
Exhausted after choosing a new toy at Tesco

1 comment:

  1. I have read these updates, and I am pleased. :)

    ~Mag~

    ReplyDelete

Comment! It's pretty much the same as petting a cat. They purr, I blog more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...