Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dentistry!

Despite a distinct lack of teeth, Babybear had her very first dentist appointment yesterday. why I hear you ask? It's a new governmental program called Childsmile, aimed at preventing childhood tooth decay (apparently we need extra help because there's no fluoride in the water in Scotland.)We had a dental health support worker (what a mouthful!) visit when Jessie was about 4 months old. She gave us some toothpaste, a toothbrush, a tooth-friendly sippy cup and a few other bits an bobs. While she was here she registered Jess with a local dentist, Frederick Dental Practice.

Oddly, the practice Mark and I are already registered with aren't participating in the Childsmile initiative. Or more correctly - they were participating but weren't following through and were thus dropped from the program. I've never been thrilled with our dentist. In and out in less than 10 minutes and that includes a scale, polish and checkup. I always felt a bit like a car in the pit at NASCAR... so after a really nice meeting with Jess's new dentist, Joanne, I switched us all over. She was really friendly and helpful. We'll see how the actual check-ups go next month!

I'm not sure what kind of mystery magic the dentist used, but after examining her mouth and declaring "No signs of teeth yet," Jessica actually has tiny tooth buds showing through her bottom gums today! She's been her normal happy contented self all day despite the new teething progress. Still munching on her hand, my hand, and anything that gets anywhere near her mouth though. The picture we took turned out rather vague. I'll upload it tomorrow so check back then if you feel like seeing an amorphous blob of mouth with a tiny patch coloured ever so slightly different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! It's pretty much the same as petting a cat. They purr, I blog more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...