We were in the UK for my first Mother's Day (in the UK they celebrate in March instead of May) but March is packed. My birthday, my sister-in-law's birthday, my father-in-law's birthday and of course celebrating OUR mothers all happens in a very short space of time. Over the years these occasions have often been lovingly smooshed into one large family gathering. Combine this with a newborn who wasn't even a month old at the time and what do you get? Overwhelmed? I can't exactly remember what happened, but I can tell from my photo archive that we have no pictures. There's some pictures on my birthday a few days before and then some pictures of me and Jessica a week after, but nothing on the day. Oversight. (I know Mark got me something a few months later on American Mother's Day and I remember cards.. but honestly I was still low on blood and was running on less than two consecutive hours of sleep, so.. yeah. Memory fail.)
| March 27th 2010 |
Here's what we will pretend was my first Mother's Day.
2011 rolled around and we were better prepared. I'd had more like 5 hours uninterrupted sleep, my red blood count was up and we were in America where marketing moguls don't let you forget such important days. I got an amazing handcrafted card from my baby girl with some help from her Daddy and dinner at Panera where my beautiful girl obliged by posing for photos with Mummy.
| Mother's Day 2011 |
This year I slept all night and was then allowed to sleep in while Jessica and Mark hung out. (Awesome!) I can't say she cooperated all day. We're in the process of transitioning her into her own room, it took about 2 hours to convince her to nap, with the end result of her and Mark fast asleep in our bed, not hers.
Around 5:30 they roused from their blissful, exhaustion induced slumber and we all got ready to go out to dinner. We stumbled upon an excellent Japanese place (we will be back) and had a wonderful dinner together. (Although the combined factors of and ill fitting dress and a toddler who was done with the paparazzi mean we don't really have any good photos this year either...) see?
I think this year we were so (I can't even think of a polite way to say forgetful or late) that cards and pressies are still in the process of being sent to our favourite Moms. Don't think we've forgotten about you. We haven't. We love you and appreciate EVERYTHING you've done and continue to do for us. Although maybe you should have worked harder to beat the procrastinator out of us. (I kid.)
ps. You still have to buy me a present too honey. ;)
I can tell you what you did for your first mothers day.... Me, Robert, Adam, Scott and Kathryn came over to celebrate it because mum n dad were in Japan. Mark was trying to get homebrew working on the Wii and then you and Mark were up stairs writing a strongly worded email to someone about your car (the Yaris I think). Homebrew didn't work, we had to leave to take adam home and you and Mark n Scott n Kat were thinking about getting breakfast/lunch/dinner when we left at like 8pm. Lol, I remember that because none of us had eaten all day and Mark wasn't filling in for your usual hostessing, thought I was about to starve to death, haha. So the pics from the day are the ones with Scott n Kat n some of us holding Jess, but I don't know if you managed to get any of you and Jess then.
ReplyDeleteHere's the thing, my love. Wonderful moms don't always get pictures taken... but YOU are a WONDERFUL mom, nonetheless!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenn, that does sounds awfully familiar! Do you have pictures from that day because I have none with that date at all? (I definitely remember the homebrew debacle... didn't know it was on Mother's Day though!)
ReplyDeleteThanks Mom :) LOVE YOU!