I had my Glucose Tolerance Test this morning. (They said the results should be back by my Thursday scan appointment.) Everything started out really rather smoothly. Mark dropped me off at the hospital around 8:50am and I headed up to the Day Care unit. Ann saw me come in (friendly midwife from the past few appointments- her name IS Ann!) came over to say hi and make sure I understood what was going on. I nodded, explained that I'd been reading up on it most of the weekend and then she introduced me to Trisha and Jenny the midwife and nurse who were working in the unit today.
Moving on swiftly to the blood portion of the test. (They take blood 3 times. Once when you arrive, an hour after you finish 400ml of Lucozade, and then again an hour after that.) Trisha hit a vein on her very first shot. I was impressed. I was less impressed with the Lucozade I had to drink. It was the first time I'd ever had one and it was not nice. I don't even know how to describe it. It's orange coloured and carbonated but without an identifiable taste. I finished it by 9:20 and was promptly taken away to the scan room to measure the fluid around baby while they weren't busy.
Blood flow was good and fluid was at the same level as Thursday. I asked if there was a problem with the fluid level being above average. The scan technician said that it was always better to have too much than too little, and that having too much in itself wasn't an issue, it's underlying problems that might cause an increase in fluid that they get concerned about. She added that it's entirely possible that I'm just going to have a big baby, nothing is wrong, and that the fluid level is perfectly normal for my baby. They would have to look at the results from the blood tests to know. I got another picture of baby... those ultrasound pictures are always so odd looking! and then sent back to the Day Care Unit. (Day Care just sounds so silly doesn't it? Couldn't they call it something like out patient? instead?)
Time passes rather quickly and suddenly it's 10:20 and time to poke at my other arm for some more blood. Success again! She hits it on the first try. The vein really doesn't want to give her much blood - (Well would you? I hadn't had anything to eat for almost 12 hours now.)but she got enough for what she needed. I knit a bit. I finish the square I was working on and realize that I've forgotten how to cast off yet AGAIN, so I switch to reading. 11:20! Whoo! We're almost done here... or so I thought. This is where things get a bit rough. Trisha tries for another vein. No joy. She tries in the other arm. Nothing. Back to the first arm... wiggle it around... still nadda. It's getting quite unpleasant by this point. There's blood in there somewhere, I can tell because it's leaking out around the needle. It's just not going in the vial!! After a few attempts she decides to get a doctor in.
Doctor arrives. He seems confident. Stabs left arm - strike one. Stabs right arm - strike two. Now he's getting desperate and starts looking at the back of my hand. (Nooo!! Not the hand! I remember having blood taken from the back of my hand when I was 16. It was not an experience I care to repeat. I mention this.) He's about to attack my hand when his eyes light up. He has spied a vein crossing over my bicep. It's not one you can feel but because of my increased blood volume you can actually see it. (Good thing I wore a sleeveless top today!) He pounces. Blood flows. It barely hurts. Yaay! hmmmm bruising already. Oh well, at least it's over!
I finally get to eat! Trisha brings me tea and buttered toast which I devour. mmmm fooood.
It's almost noon now. That last attempt at blood collection took almost 40 minutes. Not something I wish to go through again anytime soon! Time to find a taxi home. I call Mark who in turn calls me a cab. I then realize there are taxis lined up outside already... duuuhh.. oops. Oh well. Get in taxi. Go home. Hospital is apparently £8.00 from the house. Joy.
My arms look horrible. Like I tripped into a pin cushion. At least it's over! I'm next up at the hospital Thursday morning for another scan. Results from today should be in by then.
ps. I watched a video clip when I got home and successfully cast off my stitches. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment! It's pretty much the same as petting a cat. They purr, I blog more.