Friday's midwife appointment was brief but non-enraging. They were a bit over keen with the heating in the waiting room and minutes after we arrived I felt like I was going to pass out. Luckily she wasn't running late and even more fortunately, she'd just had someone open the window in the office for her. I told her that I was feeling a bit woozy, (apparently not a word she hears very often because she seemed confused and I had to clarify that I meant light-headed/dizzy/wanting to pass out.) Here's where she earned her bonus points- she asked if I'd like some cold water to drink and when I said yes she immediately left the office to get me some. Whoo! That's how I expect a medical professional to act. Do whatever you can to keep your patient from passing out: a plus.
She took my blood pressure, which, remarkably wasn't too high or too low. I was worried that it might have been too low and thus the reason for my desire to faint. She asked me a few things and then said she'd check the baby's heartbeat. At this point I actually spoke up and told her that we were really excited because it was going to be the first time we were able to hear it. I went on to explain what had happened at the last appointment, however I was tactful and said the midwife in question must have been having a bad day, rather than calling her a mean cow. Iris, the current midwife, nodded and said she thought she knew who I was talking about. On with the heartbeat,.. she found it almost immediately, checked with me to make sure I'd heard enough and then turned around to Mark to confirm that he'd been able to hear it as well.
Afterwards she scheduled a 25 week appointment for me to get my bloods checked again and although we weren't in there for more than 10 minutes, we both came away feeling satisfied. (However, I did continue to feel faint for a prolonged period of time and wound up taking a two hour nap after we got home.)
Now the bit you've all been waiting for.... The week 22 Bump shot! I really should consider at least brushing my hair before Mark takes these photos, but by the time I remember I'm supposed to take a photo, I really can't be bothered. So here goes!
Yeah for Iris!!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, yeah and... why not spend a little more time with the whoozy preggie so her mommy won't get worried??? Had you had something to eat before you went?
I'm excited that you (both!) FINALLY got to hear the heat beat!! That was a long time coming!
Take care- put your feet up a lot!
luvyas,
mums
Looking lovely missus :) and so glad you guys got a decent midwife experience this time! Trying not to get broody here!!
ReplyDeleteOh and well done you for speaking up :) not always easy to do, I know, so definitely deserves a mention!
ReplyDeleteEee! Over half way :D
ReplyDeleteI reckon your midwife might be a bit notorious judging from Iris's reaction!
I'm so glad you got someone kind this time!
ReplyDeleteYour "bump" is looking extremely adorable. *grins* You're radiant!
Love to you all,
Mag
so glad you had a good experience.. I do hope your next scan goes as well for you. You look wonderful by the way. Growing a very healthy baby... boy in there.. hehe
ReplyDeleteIm so excited for you!
Oooh lots of comments this week! :D Thanks for all the compliments! I'm really beginning to wish I'd chosen something a bit cuter for the bump pictures! *laughs*
ReplyDeleteHopefully I will have had both a haircut AND gender results by the next bump picture. :D