Saturday, July 11, 2009

2nd midwife visit

So I'm still feeling totally wretched. I did manage to act slightly normal and go out to dinner with some friends last night, but Mark tells me that apparently all I talked about was how rotten I felt! oops. I'm sorry!

Throat feels much better now but the typical nose congestion deal is driving me insane and I think it may have moved into my chest as I started the coughing portion today. (As always with the flu or the cold or whatever this ever I have an ever present background headache.)

9am this morning the phone rings and it's the midwife. 9AM?! She wants to know if it's okay for her to come round between 1 and 4. I mumble a half coherent "okay" and then have a minor freak out. I was hoping to sleep till at least 2! (I'd been up most of the night doing the whole not breathing thing.) and of course the house is a complete disaster...

I roll out of bed around 10. There will be no sleeping for me, too panicked about the state of the house. I make some toast and a fried egg, I find it incredibly yummy and have a cup of decaffeinated sweet and milky tea. It was all lovely. For almost 30 minutes. Then it decided it hated its new home and left violently. Not a pleasant way to start the day.

Afterwards Mark helped me get the downstairs in some semblance of order so we wouldn't be ashamed when the midwife arrived. We decided just to shut the kitchen door and pray she didn't want some kind of tour instead of dealing with it.

Irene arrived.. (yes the same lovely lady from the first meeting.) It was all very uneventful as I had already filled out all of our medical history in my case notes before. She took a carbon monoxide reading from me and I scored a 1. That's supposed to be good I think. At this point she spends 10 minutes filling out the forms that the little blood vials go into... pointless, because she can't find a vein. Shocker! I'm sooo surprised. After stabbing both arms and wiggling the needle around for a bit she decides she's not going to find anything and writes in my notes that they should take my blood work when I come in for the ultrasound in two weeks.

After repeating the same tired anecdotes she told me the first time she met me.. (I guess they were new for Mark at least!) She packed up her things and told me that if I was having twins she had first dibs. Odd lady.

The nausea hasn't gotten better at all through the day and I'm worried I'm going to expel my beloved poptarts at any moment. I had my very last American imported cinnamon poptart today and would be very upset if it got wasted!!

I still haven't managed to get out long enough to find anything to wear to Scott and Kat's wedding... which is, yes.. 5 days away. I'm just praying I won't puke at the wedding!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I realised I left all the washing up after I'd gone - poor sick pregnant lady, we didn't look after you well!

    I just wanted to say that you could try to look out for the sex at your scan. Apparently girly parts look like 2 lines, and boy parts look like a turtle... so I've heard anyway!

    You really need to stop being sick soon!

    Sarah and Hannah,
    Sending you lots of hugs
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. dibs???? what's that, dibs??? nononononono ...odd lady, to be sure!!!
    yes, do, please feel better soon!!!!
    luvyabunches,
    mums

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turtles and lines?! *laughs* how very random. You can't tell the sex on a scan till at least 16 weeks but I'll keep my eyes open for turtles and lines at the 20 week scan. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment! It's pretty much the same as petting a cat. They purr, I blog more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...